In addition to his very own Culinary Education Foundation, Chef Charlie Trotter has been actively involved in supporting many charitable organizations. From annual chef events to giving of his personal time, it has become an important part of the entire restaurant's culture and philosophy to extend our efforts and participate in worthwhile causes. Below is a list of a few of his efforts and recognitions.
- Received an award from President Bush and Colin Powell. Named one of only 5 'heroes' to be honored by Powell's charity, America's Promise, Chef Trotter was chosen for his work with students through the Charlie Trotter's Culinary Education Foundation.
- Culinary Education Program – 20 high school students, 2 to 3 times a week for a tour of the restaurant, dinner and words from members of the staff equaling over 2000 students a year since August 1999 .
- Culinary Education foundation – raised over $1,000,000 for culinary scholarships for Illinois students since August 1999.
- Guest Chef for a Day Program – 26 years, currently host 2 guest chefs per day, every day that we are open, certificates are donated to charities with a minimum auction value of $1000.
- Participation in countless charity events around the country, including Meals-on-Wheels, SOS, Parkinson's Institute, Make-A-Wish, Infant Welfare Society, Cystic Fibrosis, and Windows of Hope.
- Hosted Charity Benefits at the restaurant for several charities, including the 10th Anniversary Celebration for Mercy Home for Boys and Girls.
- Chairman of the American Cancer Society's Vin Affair – raised over 3 million dollars in a period of 3 years.
- Donations of over 100 "Dinner in Your Home" which involves Chef Trotter preparing a meal in the home of the bid winner. These donations have raised between $20,000 and $100,000 per dinner.
- Anti-Defamation League's "Torch of Liberty" Award recipient.
- Chair of Literacy Chicago book auction.
- Illinois Restaurant Association Education Foundation board member and host of annual scholarship luncheon.
- Organized the first James Beard Foundation "Dinner of the Decade" and participated in 3 subsequent Dinners of the Decade.
About Charlie Trotter
816 West Armitage
Chicago, Illinois 60614