Charlie Trotter's wine list has received the Wine Spectator's coveted Grand Award and the James Beard Foundation's Outstanding Wine Service Award. This list is created with Charlie's culinary philosophy in mind - that food and wine are intended not only to complement each other, but to inspire one another, making the selection and interplay of the wine and food an integral part of the dining experience.
In addition to housing the classic food wines from Burgundy and Bordeaux, Charlie Trotter's offers the connoisseur a great selection of wine from Rhone, Alsace, and Champagne. The cellar also has great breadth in Californian, Australian and German wines.
Charlie Trotter's treats wine with the utmost care and dignity. We house all of our wines in temperature and humidity-controlled redwood cellars and serve them in Riedel crystal stemware.
With over 1,800 selections to choose from, our wine list offers a great selection and breadth from practically every wine producing country including the United States, Italy, Austria, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Hungary, and South Africa. The wine program offers a great selection of wines by the glass that changes frequently to accommodate each evening's menu.
The wine program at Charlie Trotter's is devoted to enhancing the dining experience of our guests. This is accomplished not only by the wine list itself, but also by our wine storage conditions, the wine team, and the education of the service staff.
In 1994 we made the decision to serve wine only. While classic aperitifs such as Campari andLillet, as well asclassic after dinner beverages such as Cognac, Armagnac and Grappa are available.We believe that food and wine belong together. Having said that, there are no rules here and our sommeliers and service team are available to guide our guests through the journey and geography of our wine list and menus.
Our wine list provides choices to complement our cuisine, in all ranges. The strong sections of the list include Burgundy, Bordeaux and California, as well as other major regions of the world. It balances between the great vintages of classic regions, to unknown, small-production wineries, sure to be future stars. Each section of the wine list is introduced by a short description of the general characteristics of the wines it contains such as regions, grape varietals and producers.
Some of the highlights of our wine program include:
· 20 vintages of Penfolds " Grange " dating back to 1960, plus 6 vintages in Magnums
· 12 vintages of Grace Family Vineyards Cabernet
· 48 selections of Angelo Gaja, in various sized formats
· 24 selections of single vineyard Cote-Rotie from Guigal
· Vertical of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild from 1945 to 2003
· 23 selections of Henri Jayer including 8 vintages of Echezeaux starting in 1982
· Over 48 selections from Domaine Leroy including the 1949 Musigny
· Over 130 selections in large formats including 12 vintages of La Jota Imperials starting in 1982, 9 Double Magnums of Angelo Gaja's Barbarescos and an Imperial of 1990 Penfolds " Grange " which is only 1 of 5 Imperials of Grange ever made.
· An entire section celebrating Oregon Pinot Noir, including 8 vintages of Eyrie "Reserve" dating back to 1975
· An entire section of the list devoted to wine $75 or less which contains over 200 wines
· An entire section of the list devoted to wines from North America
· A selection of nearly 100 half bottles
· Two wine pairing choices which, above and beyond our wines by the glass, both include a different wine paired with each course of our menu
· A non-alcoholic beverage menu for those guests who choose not to drink alcohol – these are fruit and/or vegetable blends, infusions or juices created by ourculinary team
816 West Armitage
Chicago, Illinois 60614
Tel. 773 248-6228
Fax. 773 248-6088 fax